Nov 10, 2008

Can you have a spotless home and a toddler?

This was one of the very last photos taken of Warren and I together before we officially transitioned into Daddy and Mommy.


Moments later our lives changed forever.


Life has not slowed down since that wonderful mid-July day. Let's just say all organization has gone out the window! For almost 16 months I have been trying to win the battle of clean home verses being a Mom. I think many of us are fighting this same battle. You clean and as soon as the supplies are put away a tornado has hit that once clean room. When I became pregnant with #2 I quickly raised the white flag.

Our home is no longer kept in that "Sure just stop over anytime!" condition. It has hit "Give me an hour!" status. The warm fragrance of that day's scented candle burning has been traded for the aroma of poopy diaper. That delightful smell seems to linger after they move up to solid foods. Clutter free has moved to watch your step as toys seem to find themselves scattered about the house. Yes we have a great playroom but why would a toddler want to play in a playroom?! Clean carpets have been traded for crushed cheerios and milk / juice spots. Whoever told you that sippy cups don't spill has never had children and who steams their carpet daily? Doing dishes as you use them went out the window the day my little one discovered a dishwasher is really just a box that puts sharp and breakable things right at eye level! Can you guess which he goes for first? Now we do them when he is napping and we're done recovering from the last game of chase me. Oh and to add to the chaos we have two dogs and a cat! Trying to keep house, be a mother, be a wife and run a home based business at the same time is not easy but doing it all while pregnant? Thank goodness my Husband knows how to cook, do laundry and clean! Yeah, how lucky am I to have caught that fish! :)

So I decided to give myself a kick and came across this site. FlyLady.net I have decided to give it an honest try. Have I mentioned that I hate cleaning? Don't get me wrong, nothing makes me happier than a clean home. But! I question my friends who claim they truly enjoy cleaning.

Now let's begin with her BabySteps:

Today is Day 1 - Go shine your sink.

"This is your first household chore. Many of you can't understand why I want you to empty your sink of your dirty dishes and clean and shine it, when there is so much more to do. It is so simple. I want you to have a sense of accomplishment. You have struggled for years with a cluttered home and you are so beaten down. I just want to put a smile on your face. When you get up the next morning, your sink will greet you and a smile will come across your lovely face. I can't be there to give you a big hug, but I know how good it feels to see yourself in your kitchen sink. So each morning this is my gift to you. Even though I can't be there to pat you on the back, I want you to know that I am very proud of you.

Go shine your sink! - FlyLady"

3 comments:

  1. It's exhausting isn't it? I never knew I'd be able to give up my OCD cleaning needs... I used to leave the house in hysterics if there were dishes in the sink. Seriously, I was baaad. Now, I just don't care! -I'll even let ppl in my house with it a mess. Life's too short. But a shiny kitchen sink would be so wonderful! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! haha Funny post! I can never keep our place clean either, the boys just walk behind me undoing everything! I have been meaning to get serious about fly lady for awhile now! She has some really great info etc, now if I can only make myself do it :)

    Would love to see you before you pop! :) Hope you are having a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw this article written by a guy titled, "Keeping a Clean Home with Kids." I thought that's an oxymoron, and this guy's a moron if he thinks that can happen.

    ReplyDelete

We love reading everyone's comments!